Tuesday 7 February 2012

The Last 2 Weeks

I have been out around the Farne Islands every weekend for the last couple of weeks and to be honest it has been very quite.

Last weekend I did see over 100+ Guilliemots feeding on the water beside Staple Island and about 12 Razorbills also feeding at the south end of the Longstone Island, but this weekend I only saw about 4 Razorbills and about 3 Guilliemots.
The Fulmers are flying around the Islands and it's really nice to see them without all the other birds being there. I suppose it's a bit to early for all of the other birds to start arriving, but it won't be long before the Islands are buzzing again.
I'm saying it's a bit early but last year on the 14th January we had over 5000 Guillemots flying around Staple Island and the Inner Farne. Maybe there is enough food out in the North Sea this year and we have not had a really strong Northerly Wind since Easter last year. Yes we have had alot of strong Westerly Winds but that will not push the birds back in for us.
Oh well they will come when they are ready to come back.  

I will try my best to keep on blogging as much as possible now and hopefully it will keep you all up to date with what's happening around the Farne Islands.



No comments: