Monday 21 November 2011

Summer/Winter Wildlife Tour.

It was our 2nd Winter Wildlife Tour today and what a day it was. You would never think it was November with the weather the way it was. The seas were calm and the sun was glistening of the water and with a little breeze coming from the south I knew we were going to be in for a cracking day.

As we passed Bamburgh Castle we had a lovely Razorbill on the bow of the boat and 2 Red-throated Divers fly north past the boat. Just a little further north I spotted 2 Harbour Porpoise braking the surface. I stopped the boat but they never appeared again. Ah well hopefully we will get another chance to see them again.

Just passed Stag Rock we saw 2 Divers, but we were not sure what type as we were a little to far away and the sun was bright. A little further on we saw another 3 Divers but again we were not sure what they were. Eventually we they flew past and they were Red-throated Divers.



Just as we were about to get arrive at Holy Island we saw a lone male Long-tailed Duck resting in the water. I grabbed my camera but it was to late. Next time.
Holy Island is a special place and they have had some good birds up here lately so I was hoping it was our turn. I heard they have had a Eastern Black Redstart over the last few days which is a WOW bird. The only way I would ever get to see that little beauty would be to take a day of work, but that was never going to happen when the weather is like this.
All around Holy Islands sand banks we saw Long-tailed Ducks, Brent Geese, Curlews, Turnstones, Redshanks, Shags, Cormorants, Oystercatchers and Eider Ducks.

I did get a picture of the Long-tailed Ducks and a couple with Holy Island in the background.







After leaving Holy Island we steamed slowly along Ross Sands towards Stag Rock passing about 12 Long-tailed Ducks, 2 Northern Divers flying south and 3 Grebes but I'm not sure what kind.

On arriving at the Farne Islands we saw Turnstones, Purple Sandpipers, Seals and a single Merlin hunting above Brownsman Cottage.
I must admit it was a cracking day and the weather was just amazing.




A seal pup waves goodbye at the end of a great trip.

No comments: